Defense Depot Ogden Architectural Drawings Collection
The drawings architectural drawings of the Defense Depot of Ogden (DDO) deal mostly with renovating, remodeling, and updating the buildings between the 1940s and the late 1990s. There is a group of drawings in the early 1940s that includes original blueprints for newly built buildings. Almost every drawing was given a number within a series. The series if fairly easy to follow with each project number followed the last two digits of the year in which the drawing was used. The series from the 1940s is the exception with only the last digit of the year the drawings were used. There are numbers that do not fit in the series. The UG series is from the early 1940s and has to do with the original construction of the buildings. There are a few other number series that do not fit any obvious system.
There are a few drawings that are not of the DDO. There is a group of drawings that are of the Interment Camps or POW Camps. Some of the drawings are of the conversion of POW Camps for other purposes. The details of the other drawings range from simple floor plans with equipment rearrangement to detailed electrical replacement. Many of the drawings, specifically those with the Administration Buildings, include specifics for furniture, whether built in or movable.
The drawings have been arranged by the predominant number system and then by the other number systems. The folder identifications have the drawings listed with building or project first, followed by the system number, the date of use, sheet numbers and then the type of drawing, whether architectural, electrical, detail, etc.
- 1940 - 1999
Biographical / Historical
Prior to the establishment of what was known as the Utah General Depot on September 15, 1941, the underlying land was used for pasture and farmland. The Defense Depot Ogden Utah (DDOU) was one of seven similar facilities located around the nation. The property entered the ownership of the United States Army, under the command of the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), an agency of the Department of Defense (DOD). The DDOU was used as logistical supply and administrative support for military installations and other DOD and federal agencies. The mission included the receipt, storage, maintenance, inventory and issue of items that included food, clothing, textiles, packages, petroleum products, pesticides, pressurized gases and general medical, industrial, construction and electronic supplies.
During World War II, the DDOU was also used as an internment camp for both German and Italian prisoners of war.
The Depot had an Officers' Club that allowed Department of the Army civilian employees to enjoy the facility. A set of military houses between the front gate and the Officers' Club made it feel like a neighborhood. There was also an AFEES store, as well as clothing sales. The commander changed from one service to another with each change but the commander was always a pay grade O-6 colonel or captain.
The DDOU was listed in the Base Realignment and Closure Act (BRAC) of 1995. As a result, the base ceased its functions on September 30, 1997. Management of the facilities was then handed over to the Hill Air Force Base DLA, at which time the official name of the facility changed to Defense Depot Hill Utah (DDHU) Ogden Site.
17 Linear Feet : 17 map case drawers
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the WSU Stewart Library Special Collections Repository
3921 Central Campus Drive Dept 2901
Ogden UT 84408
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com