The Jerome Bernstein Photograph Collection of Civil Conservation Corps Camps in the Intermountain West
The contents of this photograph collection consist of 328 photographs of Civil Conservation Corps Camps in the Intermountain West, built in the Depression Era of the 1930’s. The collection was donated to the Stewart Library, Special Collections, by Dr. Jerome Bernstein of Weber State College in 1979. The photographs are restricted for use.
- 1930 - 1940 (Approximate)
Biographical / Historical
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployed, unmarried men from relief families, ages 18–25. A part of the New Deal of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, it provided unskilled manual labor jobs related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural lands owned by federal, state and local governments. The CCC was designed to provide employment for young men in relief families who had difficulty finding jobs during the Great Depression while at the same time implementing a general natural resource conservation program in every state and territory. Maximum enrollment at any one time was 300,000; in nine years 2.5 million young men participated. Reserve officers from the U.S. Army were in charge of the camps, but there was no military training or uniforms.
The typical CCC enrollee was a U.S. citizen, unmarried, unemployed male, 18–25 years of age. Normally his family was on local relief. Each enrollee volunteered and, upon passing a physical exam and/or a period of conditioning, was required to serve a minimum six month period with the option to serve as many as four periods, or up to two years if employment outside the Corps was not possible. Enrollees worked 40 hours a week over five days, sometimes including Saturdays if poor weather dictated. In return they received $30 a month with a compulsory allotment $22–25 sent to a family dependent, as well as food, clothing and medical care.
Each CCC camp was located in the area of particular conservation work to be performed, and organized around a complement of up to 200 civilian enrollees in a designated numbered "company" unit. The CCC camp was a temporary community in itself, structured to have barracks (initially Army tents) for 50 enrollees each, officer/technical staff quarters, medical dispensary, mess hall, recreation hall, educational building, lavatory and showers, technical/administrative offices, tool room/blacksmith shop and motor pool garages.
Language of Materials
BOX 1 Arizona and Nevada Companies and Camps
BOX 2 Utah Companies and Camps
BOX 3 Utah Companies and Camps
BOX 4 Utah Companies and Camps
BOX 5 Utah Companies and Camps
BOX 6 Utah Companies, Camps, and Unidentified Photographs
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the WSU Stewart Library Special Collections Repository
3921 Central Campus Drive Dept 2901
Ogden UT 84408
email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org