Henry Aldous Dixon records
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, financial records, papers regarding the purchase of the Harrison campus, papers concerning campaign for Weber to become of a four year school, information about different programs, graduation awards, photographs, and awards.
- Creation: 1919-1967
- Creation: Majority of material found in 1943-1952
- Other: Date acquired: 1976
- Dixon, Henry Aldous (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use.
Biographical or Historical Information
Henry Aldous Dixon was born in Provo, Utah on June 29, 1890. He graduated from the LDS High School in Salt Lake, received an A.B. degree fromÂ Brigham Young University in 1914, and an M.A. degree from the University of Chicago in 1917. He served an LDS mission to Germany from 1910-1912. He married Louise Knowlden in 1915, and had six children. Dixon was a faculty member of Weber Academy from 1914-1919. After one year as president, he left Weber to work in educational and business capacities in Provo, Utah. He served as Superintendent of Provo City Schools from 1920-1924, Vice President of the Farmers and Merchants Bank, Director of the Provo Chamber of Commerce, Director and President of the Timpanogos Marketing Association, 1924-1932, and as superintendent of schools from 1932-1937. He obtained a Doctorate in Education from the University of Southern California in 1937. From 1937-1953 he served as President of Weber College. During his tenure the college received national recognition for its technical division and war effort work and oversaw the beginning of the construction for the new college campus. In August 1953, Dixon accepted the position of President of the Utah State Agricultural College (Utah State University) in Logan. He left the position after 15 months to serve as a congressman for Utah's First Congressional District. He was elected in 1954 and served until 1960. After leaving congress, he taught educational philosophy at Brigham Young University. He died in Ogden on January 22, 1967.
5.40 Linear Feet (7 document cases, 2 flat document cases, 1 RC box)
Language of Materials
Arranged into four series: Series 1, Administrative files, 1943-1955; Series 2, New campus (Harrison Boulevard) construction, 1949-1953; Series 3, State and local politics, 1949-1954; Series 4, Technical, vocational, and occupational education, 1940-1951.
Physical Access Requirements
There are no physical access restrictions.
Technical Access Requirements
There are no technical access restrictions.
Material was acquired from the President's Office (1976-074, 1993-009, 1996-041, 1999-008, 2002-034).
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
Received from the President's Office between 1976 and 2002.
Accruals and Additions
Accruals are not expected.
Materials may be used for non-profit and educational purposes, please credit the University Archives, Stewart Library, Weber State University. Reproduction for publication, exhibition, web display or commercial use is only permissible with the consent of the University Archives, Stewart Library, Weber State University. email@example.com.”
First six boxes were processed in 1999
- John M. Murphy, 1999
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Weber State University Archives Repository
3921 Central Campus Drive Dept 2901
Ogden UT 84408